California Snow Sports Program for Single Male & Female Veterans
Feb 26 - March 3
Time & Location
Feb 26, 2023, 8:00 AM PST
Mammoth Mountain, CA
About the Event
AM I ELIGIBLE?
Located in Mammoth Mountain, CA is a town with a population of approx. 7,200. Mammoth is sought after by many from around the world for its pristine mountain lakes, massive mountain range for front country and back country skiing, to other activities such as camping, climbing, kayaking, mountaineering, backpacking, snowshoeing, Nordic skiing, tubing, and hot springs. The base elevation at Mammoth Mountain is 9,000ft and top elevation is 11,053ft.
Seasoned adaptive Snowsports instructors at Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra will be providing our 1:1 and sometimes 2:1 instruction, equipment and guidance during this program. The accommodations at Mammoth Mountain Inn are located a stone's throw from the chairlifts and beginner terrain. The accommodations have fully accessible bedrooms, bathrooms, entertainment and dining area. When we are not skiing, the day includes potential for snowshoeing, sledding, sightseeing or relaxation at the indoor/outdoor hot tubs. We also ask that all potential participants contribute to a safe environment by demonstrating respectful behavior within a prolonged group. The following Essential Eligibility Criteria has been developed to objectively determine if one has the ability to participate in this program.
Participant will independently or with the use of adaptive equipment/assistant:
Skiing, Snowboarding, Nordic
- If participant has had traumatic injury or surgery in the past six months, they must provide a doctor’s release before participation will be permitted (DSES requirement).
- Sit-down skiers weight limit is 190lbs. Some exceptions may be considered.
- Transfer into sit ski equipment, level of assist will be evaluated by staff on case-by-case basis.
- Stand up skiers will be assessed by DSES on intake call and all adaptations (e.g. sit skis, slider and/or outriggers) will be provided based on participants needs and comforts as well as instructors' assessment.
- Snowboarding participants will be assessed by DSES on intake call and all adaptations (e.g. outriggers and ski buddy) will be provided based on participants needs and comforts as well as instructors' assessment.
- Nordic skiers will be assessed by DSES on intake call and adaptions will be provided based on participants needs and comforts (e.g. slider and sit-down Nordic skis)
- Manage all personal care needs including but not limited to appropriate hydration and nutrition, toileting, medication. These needs will be evaluated by staff on a case-by-case basis.
- Tolerate wearing required equipment and safety gear for the duration of the lesson experience
- Be willing to ride a chairlift at various heights with at least one instructor
Participant will independently:
- Prepare for subzero temperatures, wind, snow and sleet by packing lots of warm clothing and layers appropriate for winter environment
- Comprehend and follow safety protocols as outlined by DSES and Higher Ground
- Tolerate sitting or standing for approx. 1 hour at a time outdoors during lesson
- Tolerate mountain elevation levels base 9,000ft to the top 11,053ft
Who: 6 veterans and their supporter
When: Feb 26 - March 3
What: A week of recreational therapy through skiing, snowboarding and tubing — no experience necessary
Where: Mammoth Mountain, CA
Accommodations: All participants will stay in a the Mammoth Mountain Inn
Cost: HG covers all related costs, including travel costs for veterans
Point of Contact: Natasha Roseboom firstname.lastname@example.org