Idaho Singles Snow Sports Program in Partnership with the Kirstie Ennis Foundation
March 19 - March 24
Time & Location
Mar 19, 8:00 AM MDT
Sun Valley, Sun Valley, ID 83353, USA
About the Event
AM I ELIGIBLE?
Sun Valley Resort is home of the popular ski areas of Mt. Baldy and the beginner terrain at Dollar Mountain. Whether you are beginner or experienced in snow sports, you will be provided with seasoned adaptive instructors from our very own Higher Ground Snowsports school. They are trained to deliver top notch instruction for skiing, snowboarding, ski biking, or sit skiing. Please take note that mountain top elevation at Dollar is 6,638ft and Mt. Baldy is 10,064ft.
The ADA rooms available at Sun Valley Inn have fully accessible bedrooms and bathrooms and located within a resort community including shops, restaurants and a relaxing hot pool (no lift or ramp available at pool). When you are not on the mountain the day includes potential for sled hockey, Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, sightseeing or relaxation at the outdoor hot tubs. We also ask that all potential participants contribute to a safe environment by demonstrating respectful behavior within a group atmosphere. The following Essential Eligibility Criteria has been developed to objectively determine if one has the ability to participate in this program.
Participant will independently or with the use of adaptive equipment/assistant:
Skiing, Snowboarding, Nordic, Snowshoeing and Ski Biking
- Sit-down skiers weight limit is 200lbs
- Transfer into sit ski equipment, level of assist will be evaluated by staff on case-by-case basis.
- Stand up skiers will be assessed by Higher Ground Snowsports instructors and all adaptations (e.g., sit skis, slider and/or outriggers) will be provided based on participants needs and comforts as well as instructors' assessment.
- Snowboarding participants will be assessed by Higher Ground Snowsports instructors and all adaptations will be provided based on participants needs and comforts as well as instructors' assessment.
- Nordic skiers will be assessed on intake call and adaptions will be provided based on participants needs and comforts (sit-down Nordic skis)
- Manage all personal care needs including but not limited to appropriate hydration and nutrition, toileting, and medication. These needs will be evaluated by staff on a case-by-case basis.
- Tolerate wearing required equipment and safety gear (helmet required) for the duration of the lesson experience
- Be willing to ride a chairlift at various heights with at least one instructor
Participant will independently:
- Tolerate winter environment conditions that may include wind, snow and sleet and possible subzero temperatures
Who: 7 veterans and their supporters
When: March 19 - March 24
What: A week of recreational therapy through downhill skiing or snowboarding
Where: Sun Valley, Idaho
Accommodations: Private Rooms at the Sun Valley Resort
Accessibility: Adaptive Ski Equipment is Available if Needed
Cost: HG covers all related costs, including travel costs for both veterans andsupporters
Point of Contact: Dave Keir firstname.lastname@example.org